Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Wha Bah's Steakhouse In Bowling Green, Ky., Closed For Remodeling After Being Featured On "Restaurant Impossible"


I hate to admit this but I only dined at Wha Bah's Steakhouse in Bowling Green https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XliBdscCSQk only once in the nine years that it was opened.  Now, sadly I probably won't get a chance anytime soon since it is closed for remodeling according to a banner hanging over the front door and several pieces of paper stating the same thing on the windows.  I've known about Wha Bah's for a long time ever since it's been open and the restaurant was recently featured on the Food Network's "Restaurant Impossible" starring Robert Irvine.
    According to Irvine, Wah Bah's with over 4,000 square feet was the biggest restaurant he'd ever tried to help revive and one of the most expensive too, sinking in over $10,000 in just two days.  I was finally able to watch the episode on Youtube the other day.  I know the show is somewhat scripted but it looks like Irvine did go in there and kick some ass embarrassing and shaming the owner, Donnie Perrquette and his staff in order to try to help them.  I remember the Restaurant Impossible press conference that was shown on the local news and on the social media sites.  Perrquette looked like he had been beaten up by Irvine-in a "non-physical" way of course. Irvine had found a lot of grease and dirt and found that there was a lack of respect of management from the staff with Perrquette taking all the blame just to name a couple of things.  The show also told how the restaurant had a biker theme originally and made over a million dollars the first year it was open. Then eventually they got to featuring local music and bands with a full-blown stage in the dining area.  But as the story unfolded, Irvine talks about Perrquette being depressed and was heavily in debt.  Perrquette even had to mortgaged his own home to try to help save his restaurant. I probably would eaten there again to give them new menu and decor a chance since it so close to my house but when you are married you always have to consider your spouse's desires on where to eat too. Her's are always on the other side town towards the interstate it seems.
    Not long after the restaurant was remodeled by Irvine and featured on the show, I saw an ad in our local newspaper, the Bowling Green Daily News, that the restaurant was for sale.  So at this point, I don't know if the restaurant has been sold to a new owner or what.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  And I certainly hope Perrquette is able to pull things together and get through this.  He seems like a very intelligent, strong willed man with many talents and skills.  I am pulling for him and I'm hoping he'll get through this or maybe he already has. I don't know.  But there are people in the community like me who do like see people pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get through tough times. Again, I think he can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and polite. Thank you.

The New "Bob Marley: One Love" Movie Is Jamming While Bringing Back Good Memories For His Fans

 Nowadays there's so much to watch on TV. Actually, there's really too much to watch in my opinion.  We got internet streaming flat ...