Saturday, August 15, 2026
The Quiet Side Of The Nuclear Reactor
“This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events,
locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or
used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead,
or actual events is purely coincidental.”
The Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant satalong the Tennessee River just outside Athens, Alabama, looking about as serious
as a place could look. There were no second chances at Browns Ferry. Everything
had a procedure. Everything had a checklist. Everything had somebody responsible
for it. At sixty-four years old, Daniel Mercer understood that better than most.
Daniel was the kind of man who had spent his life believing that if you worked
hard, kept your word and treated people right, things generally had a way of
working out. He had earned his bachelor's degree in finance from the University
of Mississippi and later completed an MBA. His career had taken him through the
business and administrative side of the energy industry before eventually
bringing him to Browns Ferry, where he served as a senior site administrator. It
wasn't a glamorous job. There were budgets, personnel matters, schedules,
meetings, reports and enough paperwork to keep a man busy until retirement. But
Daniel liked it. He liked being useful. And after losing his wife of nearly
forty years, being useful had become more important to him than he cared to
admit. His wife had been gone a little over a year, and Daniel was still
learning what life looked like without her. Loneliness didn't always hurt.
Sometimes it just sat there beside you. Quietly. Then there was Cindy Smith.
Cindy was fifty-one years old and had never married. She had no children, and
her career had become the center of her life. She was highly educated, highly
disciplined and one of the most respected people at Browns Ferry. Cindy had
earned a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering before going on to earn a
master's degree in nuclear engineering. She had spent decades working her way
through the nuclear industry, gaining experience in operations, engineering,
safety and plant management. She had also earned her Senior Reactor Operator
credentials, something Daniel understood required an extraordinary amount of
training and responsibility. By the time she became plant manager, Cindy had
spent much of her adult life around nuclear reactors. She understood them. She
respected them. And perhaps more importantly, she understood the responsibility
that came with being responsible for thousands of people working around
something that demanded absolute attention to detail. Cindy was serious about
her job. Very serious. But Daniel soon discovered there was another side to her.
Cats. Cindy loved cats. Not just the ones somebody could take home from a
shelter. She cared about the forgotten ones. The feral ones. The cats that lived
behind restaurants, underneath abandoned buildings and around warehouses,
surviving on whatever food they could find. After work, Cindy sometimes drove
around Athens feeding them. She also volunteered with people at the local animal
shelter and helped organize efforts to get feral cats fed, vaccinated and, when
possible, adopted. Daniel thought that was an interesting contradiction. Here
was a woman responsible for one of the most complicated industrial facilities in
the South, somebody who could sit in a meeting discussing reactor safety and
plant operations with engineers and executives, and then spend her evening
looking under a bush for a frightened stray cat. That was the side of Cindy he
liked most. And, truth be told, Daniel thought she was pretty. Not pretty in
some Hollywood sort of way. Pretty in a quieter way. She had a reserved smile, a
soft voice and a habit of listening carefully before she answered somebody. She
wasn't the kind of woman who needed everybody in the room to notice her. Daniel
noticed her anyway. Because of their positions at Browns Ferry, both of them
understood that any personal relationship had to be handled carefully. There
were workplace policies. There were professional responsibilities. And there was
the simple fact that neither one of them could afford to have their judgment
questioned. So they were careful. They started with coffee. Then lunch. Then
dinner at a little restaurant outside Athens. Nothing improper. Nothing
secretive. They talked about work, movies, books and their lives before Browns
Ferry had become such a large part of them. Cindy talked about cats. Daniel
talked about his dog. “You know,” Cindy said one evening, “I think I'm probably
becoming a cat lady.” Daniel smiled. “I believe you've already crossed that
bridge.” She laughed. “Well, what does that make you?” “A dog person.” “You're
the one with that Australian Shepherd, aren't you?” “Mr. G.” “That's his name?”
“That's what I call him.” “How old is he?” “Ten.” Cindy smiled. “That's getting
up there.” “Don't you tell him that,” Daniel said. “He still thinks he's a
puppy.” Cindy laughed. For a moment, Daniel thought maybe there was something
there. Maybe. They went to a movie. They had coffee a couple more times. They
went to another restaurant. Four or five outings in all. Daniel began thinking
about Cindy more than he probably should have. The problem was that feelings
have a funny way of showing up where they're not invited. Daniel knew the rules.
He knew the risks. And he knew that Cindy was his superior. Still, he couldn't
help the fact that he was becoming romantically attracted to her. He admired her
intelligence. He admired her independence. He admired the fact that she could
spend all day making decisions about a nuclear power plant and then spend half
the night worrying about whether some half-wild cat had enough food. And
somewhere along the way, admiration became desire to date her in manner of more
than just friends. One afternoon, after they'd been talking outside the
administrative offices, Daniel finally worked up enough courage to ask something
he'd been thinking about for weeks. “Cindy?” “Yes?” “I was wondering something.”
She looked at him. Daniel hesitated. “Would it be all right if I held your hand
the next time we go out to have coffee or to a movie?” Cindy's expression
changed. Not dramatically. Just enough. “No, Daniel.” He nodded. “All right.”
And that was all he said. But he understood. A few days later, Cindy asked him
to meet her after work. They sat across from each other at a quiet restaurant.
Daniel knew before she said anything. “Daniel,” she said, “I think we need to
stop this.” He looked down at the table for a moment. “I figured you might say
that.” “I don't want there to be any misunderstanding.” “There isn't.” “I don't
want a romantic relationship with you.” Daniel swallowed. “I understand.” “I've
thought about it, and I just don't believe I want a romantic relationship with
anybody.” Daniel looked at her for a moment. He could tell the conversation
wasn't easy for her either. “All right,” he said. Cindy looked down at her
coffee. “I don't want to hurt you.” “Well, my feelings are gonna be hurt,”
Daniel said honestly. “I'm not gonna lie about that.” “I know.” “But I'll be
okay.” She nodded. After a moment, Daniel asked, “Can we still be friends?”
Cindy shook her head. “No. I think we need to keep it professional.” Daniel was
quiet. She continued. “You do your job, and I'll do mine. We're both in
positions where we have to be careful. I don't want anything to interfere with
that.” Daniel nodded. “You're right.” “If we see each other at work, we'll be
cordial.” “Hello and goodbye?” “Exactly.” Daniel smiled. “I can do that.” Cindy
looked down at her coffee. “My first love is cats anyway.” Daniel chuckled. “I
figured that.” She smiled faintly. “And I guess my first love is dogs.” “I
suppose that's true.” They finished their coffee. There wasn't any anger. There
wasn't any shouting. There wasn't even much sadness spoken aloud. Just two
people accepting something that neither one of them could change. When Daniel
walked outside that evening, the Alabama air was warm and heavy. He stood beside
his car for a minute and looked toward the Tennessee River. He thought about
Cindy. He thought about his wife. He thought about loneliness and love and how
sometimes a person could come into your life without ever really becoming part
of it. And he realized something. Not every person you care about is supposed to
stay close to you. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do for somebody is let
them go. The next morning, Daniel saw Cindy in the hallway at Browns Ferry. She
was carrying a folder under her arm. “Good morning, Cindy.” “Good morning,
Daniel.” And they kept walking. A few days later: “Good afternoon.” “Good
afternoon.” That was all. And somehow, that was enough. Cindy went back to
managing a nuclear power plant, and Daniel went back to his office, his
paperwork and his responsibilities. And somewhere after work, Cindy would still
be looking for the feral cats she had promised herself she'd never forget. And
Daniel would go home to Mr. G., who would probably greet him like he had been
gone for six months instead of eight hours. Their lives went on. Not together.
But without bitterness. Because sometimes love isn't about getting the person
you want. Sometimes it's about having enough respect for them to accept the
answer they gave you. And sometimes, in the quiet spaces between one person's
life and another's, that's as close to love as two people ever need to get.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Quiet Side Of The Nuclear Reactor
“This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s im...
-
I hate to admit this but I only dined at Wha Bah's Steakhouse in Bowling Green https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XliBdscCSQk only onc...
-
I would dare say that most Southcentral Kentuckians were stunned and shocked when they first heard about the recent murder and fetal abducti...
-
I have to admit that I did not pay a visit to the new Buc-ee's, one of our most talked about businesses in our county or even the region...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please keep your comments civil and polite. Thank you.