Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Sanctum": Well Worth The Money

I must admit, I might have missed the boat on this film. Not physically just figuratively speaking. Probably one of the main selling points of the film, "Sanctum," http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZHjv3ASfwav=jaZHjv3ASfwa a 3D adventure drama film directed by Alister Grierson and executive produced by James Cameron (Academy award winning film director and producer of such films as "Titanic" and "Avatar") is that you're supposed to view the film in 3D. However, when my wife and I arrived at our local movie theatre they were no longer showing the film in 3D. So, we had to just settle for the digital version. But what the heck, it saved me $6 dollars! But I would have been more than willing to pay the extra $6 dollars to see the 3D version.



Regardless, the film was well worth money. It was fantastic! I had seen the movie trailer beforehand, so I knew that I would love the film. I love adventure, drama films filled with special effects. I also love to see beautiful nature scenes and helicopter scenes where you can see the swooping landscape of jungles, mountains and weaving in and out valleys far below on the big screen. And apparently, I love seeing gigantic holes in the earth where people propel themselves down using ropes, pulleys and cables. I also love seeing footage of people base jumping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrXVsI-3Ycin these monstrous holes in the planet too. It just blows my mind how people are willing to take such risks to do such dare-devil feats of base-jumping hundreds of feet in such dangerous places like this.



The plot of the film is pretty basic which is supposedly based on a true story which was inspired by the film's co-writer Andrew Wright's near-death experience of leading a diving expedition into miles of under water caves, then having to find a way out after a freak storm collapse the entrance. But in the movie, during an under cave exploration in Papua New Guinea, five people are trapped when a cyclone starts flooding the cave. As air runs out in the cave and water starts to rise, the only chance of survival is to travel trough the unexplored underwater caves following the course of the underwater river that leads into the ocean. The cast involves a father and son team who are often at odds with each other throughout the film, an expedition billionaire bank roller and his girlfriend and and several other people. I won't get into the details of the plot or the script of the movie because that's the best, suspenseful part of the film besides the special effects.



I would go to see this film again but it would have to be 3D next time. However, I'll probably end up renting it on dvd when it comes out for the viewing pleasure in the privacy of my own home. "Sanctum" is a roller coaster of a film that will have you cringing, crying and sitting on the edge of your seat throughout the whole movie. You won't be disappointed if you like these types of films. It was truly two hours of escapism from today's stressful world, in my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and polite. Thank you.

The New "Bob Marley: One Love" Movie Is Jamming While Bringing Back Good Memories For His Fans

 Nowadays there's so much to watch on TV. Actually, there's really too much to watch in my opinion.  We got internet streaming flat ...